Offline VM Aging Costs Report
Reports menu > Chargeback and IT Costing > Offline VM Aging Costs
All Access Rights Levels
The Offline VM Aging Costs Report shows you how much money could have been saved in a past period if the offline VMs that existed in inventory for a consistent period of time had been deleted from inventory.
Use the Offline VM Aging Costs Report to:
- determine how much powered-off VMs cost
- identify VMs for reclamation
The summary section of this report displays information about VMs that have been offline:
- in incremental periods of one month, one to two months, three to six months, and longer than six months
- for costs based on disk space (storage costs for a VM are calculated by Commander based on whether or not the VM is thin-provisioned or thick-provisioned)
- for costs based on software and support (if the operating system is not available, that information is not included in the software costs)
Keep in mind the following points when you review an Offline VM Aging Costs Report:
- If a VM had its name changed after it was added to Commander, the new name doesn't appear in the list of VMs in VM Details. You must look for the original name.
- If the name of an out-of-inventory VM contains a special character (for information about special characters, see Scanning vCenter Datastores), the name of the VM that appears in this report is represented by folder/name, where the folder is the name of the folder on the datastore.
- The totals of in- and out-of-inventry VMs, size, cost of storage and support are based on values entered in the current cost model.
See Running and Scheduling Reports for printing details.
If you have retrieved historical events, the time periods may not be accurate for out-of-inventory VMs.
If you click the VM Details button, you can view information on a per-VM basis. The VM Details section of the report report displays which VMs are offline, whether or not the VM is in or out of inventor, and ownership.
It also displays the resources that in-inventory VMs would consume if they were online. These values don't affect the aging costs in the report. If the VMs are out of inventory, these values are always 0.