Retrieve Historical Data for vCenter Cloud Accounts
You can retrieve information about events that occurred in vCenter before the cloud account was added to Commander.
Note: Retrieving historical information can take a considerable amount of time to complete, especially on large cloud accounts (for example, a cloud account that has thousands of VMs) because a large amount of data processing is occurring. In a typical environment of approximately 1,000 VMs, this task can take up to two hours to complete. However, the performance of Commander and the cloud account performance isn't affected, because this activity runs in the background.
Historical information is based on two dates:
- The first date (From) is the date furthest in the past for which historical event information is available for the cloud account. You can enter any date into this field, provided that this date is before the cloud account was added to Commander and that it's before any date for which you have already retrieved historical event information.
- The second date (To) is generated by the system. This date indicates either the date the cloud account was added to Commander or the earliest date for which you last retrieved historical events for this cloud account.
To ensure that reports contain information for all VMs, we recommend that the period for which you retrieve historical events is long enough for Commander to retrieve events for all VMs.
- If you retrieve historical events, then purge your database and try to retrieve the historical events again, the task can't be completed. Commander doesn't support retrieving historical events that have been purged.
- When you retrieve historical events, the information about VM lineage and creation isn't updated in real time. To see accurate information for historical events, sign out and sign back in to Commander.
Information about historical events can appear in the following reports:
- Offline VM Aging Costs Report
- Offline VM Aging Savings Report
- VM Inventory Report
- VM Population Trending Report
- VM Billing Report
- Cloud Migration Planner Report
Historical Events Retrieved
|For VMs:||For Hosts:||For Resource Pools:|
VM Power On
Resource Pool Created
VM Power Off
Resource Pool Destroyed
Resource Pool Moved
Resource Pool Reconfigured
Resource Pool Violated
For VM Custom Fields:
Custom Field Value Changed
Custom Field Definition Removed
Views > Inventory > Infrastructure or Applications
Administrator Access Rights
- From the Inventory tree, select a vCenter cloud account.
- Select Actions >Retrieve Historical Events.
- In the Retrieve Historical Events dialog, in the From field, enter any date (using ) before the To date.
- Click OK to confirm.
The To date is either the date that the cloud account was added to Commander or the earliest date for which you have already requested historical event information.
For example, if you previously retrieved historical events for a date that went back three months before the cloud account was added to Commander, then the To date field displays that date.